*** THE APPLICATION FOR THE ART SOUTH MAG & MAY MURAL COMMISSION HAS NOW CLOSED. ***
Art South, a Near Southside, Inc. initiative to advance the arts, in coordination with Hudgins Companies announces the Mag & May Mural Commission.
Art South and Hudgins Companies are commissioning 20 murals (each 8’x4’ or 12’x4’) along the ground floor stoops of the new Mag & May apartment development under construction on Magnolia Avenue at May Street. Artists will be paid $1,000 per mural and may receive more than one commission. Artists will work with a project advisory board to curate the content, and murals will be implemented October 8-19. Murals will be voted on by the public at ArtsGoggle on October 20, and the winning mural will receive a grand prize that includes additional prize money and a one year lease for a live-work studio space at Mag & May.
COMMISSION – Art South and Hudgins Companies will be partnering on a privately-owned and publicly-accessible series of mural commissions at the Mag & May multi-family mixed-use project on Magnolia Avenue. Through a public call for qualification, Art South is inviting Fort Worth artists to submit their qualifications.
This collaborative commission effort will result in the painting of up to 20 public murals on up to 20 street-facing stucco stoops. Each stoop measures approximately 12’x4’ or 8’x4’. Based on the quality and quantity of artist applications, as few as 2 or as many as 20 artists will be selected for the project, and artists will be paid a fee of $1,000 per mural. The Selection Committee, comprised of representatives from the Art South program and Hudgins Development, will work in partnership with the selected artists to curate a cohesive design approach for the overall project while still providing for each artist’s unique individual aesthetic and creative control of their mural.
The murals will be painted October 8-19, with plans to reveal the artwork to the public at the Near Southside’s signature community festival, ArtsGoggle, on Saturday, October 20, from noon-10pm.
Please check back for progress on this project.
CONTEST - During ArtsGoggle, the public will be invited to vote for their favorite mural using an online voting tool. The winning artist, based on popular vote, will receive:
- MONEY - An additional $2,000 cash prize
- OPPORTUNITY TO SUPPORT A COLLEAGUE - The winning artist will be given a lead role on the selection committee to commission an artist for a final Mag & May interior mural with a $3,000 project budget.
- FREE LIVE-WORK STUDIO SPACE - A complimentary one-year lease for a live-work studio apartment at Mag & May.
HERE'S THE BEST NEWS, you don't have to design anything prior to applying. Only those artists who have been selected for the commission will be asked to fully design murals. You also do not have to have previous public art or mural experience to apply.
- August 13 - Artist Request for Qualification opens through online application
- August 31 - Artist RFQ closes
- September 3 7 - Selection Committee meets to review applications
- Commissioned artists and project advisory board selections (PAB to be comprised of artists, lead curator, Art South committee member, and Hudgins Development representative)
- September 10 - Notifications for all applications, those awarded and not.
- September 12 - Project advisory board meets to establish comprehensive design approach
- September 14 - Preliminary mural designs are due to Program Manager and artist contracts are finalized
- Project Advisory Board and artists meeting to discuss final design needs
- October 1 - Final mural designs are due to Program Manager
- Site prep by Hudgins Development team to prepare “canvases” for murals
- October 8-19 - Mural installation by artists
- October 20 - ArtsGoggle mural reveal, celebratory street party and public voting
- October 29 - Winning artist is announced
- January 1-December 29, 2019 - Artist studio residency period
- Cultural Investor Hudgins Development represented by Brian Crowell & Dustin Weatherly
- ArtSouth Program Manager Megan Henderson, NSI Director of Events & Communications
- Selection Committee Comprised of Cultural Investor, Art South Program Manager, and three members of the standing Art South Selection Committee to be appointed by the Program Manager.
- Artists No fewer than two and no more than 20 artists will be commissioned for this project
- Project Advisory Board is comprised of artists, lead curator, Art South committee member, and Hudgins Development and will stay in close communication to help advise for overall project design cohesion and successful implementation.
ABOUT ART SOUTH
By connecting artists and culture-investors to each other, the goal of the Art South Collaborative is to build partnerships which increase publicly-accessible cultural assets in the Near Southside, provide opportunities to artists that expand their work portfolios to catalyze their careers, and further dialog about the value of the arts and artists in our community and development practices.
QUESTIONS? Contact Megan@nearsouthsidefw.org